Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

leftover turkey?

After the holidays, I always find myself with the dilemma of having way too many leftovers. This year, I didn't even make a turkey and still somehow ended up with a huge bag full of leftovers! So, I tried some recipes out. Tonight was turkey enchiladas. Personally, I like chicken better than turkey, but this dish is pretty yummy!

Whole Wheat Turkey Enchiladas
2-3 c.. leftover turkey, shredded
8 Whole Wheat Tortilla wraps (I use Chi-Chi's brand)
1 Can enchilada sauce
1/2 Onion, diced
1/2 Green pepper, diced
1/4 c. Salsa
Cumin, salt, Worcestershire garlic powder for flavor
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Shred turkey and dice vegetables. Throw in a skillet with 1/3 C water, salsa, and a dash of cumin, salt, garlic and Worcestershire (sounds weird, but it does give it some more flavor). Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
  3. Pour just enough enchilada sauce in baking dish to cover the bottom.
  4. Once turkey mix is done simmering, lay out tortillas. Place small spoonful of mixture on tortilla, and roll them. Place the open flab down, and lay them in the baking dish.
  5. Once all wraps have been rolled, pour remainder enchilada sauce over tortilas. Top with a small amount of cheese.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
  7. Top with olives and/or small dollop of sour cream (or cover it in jalapenos and hot sauce like my husband does).
I served the enchiladas with brown Spanish rice--which is probably one of my favorite dishes ever! It is my go-to recipe when I can't think of what to have. I mix chicken, ground turkey (which is my substitute for ground beef), or black beans to make a complete meal.

Spanish Rice (Brown)
4-6 cups cooked brown rice (I have found that this works better with dry rice than minute rice. I cook mine in a rice cooker--by the way which is a great investment for someone trying to save money on meals!)
1/2 Onion, diced (red onion works best, but I use whatever I have on hand)
1/2-1 green pepper, diced
1/2-1 Tomato
1/2 c. Frozen corn
1/4 c Fresh Cilantro
1/2 Packet taco seasoning
1/4 c. salsa
2 T. Lime Juice
salt, pepper, cumin
  1. Cook rice according to instructions.
  2. While rice is cooking, saute green pepper, onion, and corn in a skillet, just long enough to dethaw corn and to soften the veggies (I like the veggies still crunchy, though some may prefer them to be soft).
  3. Once rice is done, place in large bowl. 
  4. Mix ALL ingredients together in bowl.
  5. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Add more lime juice if necessary.
  6. Add ground turkey, shredded chicken, or black beans for a whole meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment