Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Opa! Experimenting with Greek Yogurt

So, I tried Greek yogurt a few years ago, and I honestly thought it tasted like sour cream. Lately I have heard about how good it is for you, and that it is better than regular yogurt. It is packed full of protein--which is good since I am not good at getting my daily amount. I thought I would give this super-food another try, and I bought some the other day to experiment with it. I have learned that Greek yogurt can replace a lot of other ingredients in recipes, and it is a lot healthier. I have used it in place of mayo and oil, and it works well. Below are a few yummy recipes!

 
Greek Yogurt Fruit Smoothie
 Makes 2 servings
  • 1/2 C. Greek Yogurt (I used Fage)
  • 1/2 C. Low-fat or skim milk (add more if you want to change the consistency)
  • 2 T. Honey
  • Lots of yummy fruit! (about 1 C. total, but you can never have too much! I used strawberries and blueberries)
  • Ice (I used 4 cubes)
  • Splenda (if needed)

Put all ingredients in a blender, and mix! Since Greek yogurt has a more sour taste than other yogurt, it takes some getting used to. The honey and fruit gives it a sweet taste. If it is still too sour, you can add more honey, and a pinch of Splenda. I made this for breakfast the other day--which made for a very filing and easy breakfast! I put everything in the blender container, and put it in the fridge. All I had to do in the morning is add ice and turn it on.  A healthy, high protein breakfast was ready in 2 minutes!

Greek Yogurt Cake
No oil. No eggs. 100% delicious!
  • 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
  • 1 C. 0% plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 1/3 C. Water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
3. Spoon mix into cake pan. Follow directions on back of box for baking times. 

I made it into S'mores cake (yes, that does take away from the" healthy" component, and the cake it good by itself). I melted marshmallows and placed on top after it was done baking. Crumble graham crackers on top, place under broiler until golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment